Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Potter


God has his own way of doing things and planning things. For over a year I’ve been trying desperately to get hired on for more money, to find a meaningful relationship, to find myself, to help someone else along the way and all this time God has his own plan for me. Not to say that I haven’t enjoyed my life, haven’t been up, been down and somewhere in between on a crazy roller coaster ride from you know where, I am simply saying that it has not turned out like I saw in my head, or in my dreams for that matter. It is increasingly amazing to me that even though I manage to fail horribly in one way or another each and every day, God still uses me for something good. I am so blessed and fortunate that God allows me to live each day I wake up, I definitely don’t deserve it. I am so overcome with the feeling that even though I screw up so often, God still loves me, God still wants to use me. This is something that we simply aren’t taught as Christians, as a child I remember sermon after sermon of hellfire and brimstone which, don’t get me wrong, hell is really there, but it is much more affective to follow Jesus’ example and love someone to Jesus. After all this was the main thing Jesus taught his disciples time and time again.
            We all see things and life on our scale like looking through a window standing 12’ away from it, yeah the view is there, yes we can see outside and probably a decent area but, each step closer to the window broadens the total picture exponentially. We simply box ourselves in and don’t even realize it. I have been asking God, why? When? What’s the deal? Can you please just tell me what I’m supposed to do? Why are you hating on me? The answer I kept getting was “wait”. I was at the point I was saying I know I need to be patient but good grief this is ridiculous! It dawned on me as I picked up a book called “Love as a way of life” by Dr. Gary Chapman a special friend was kind enough to give me, that all along a plan was made and it was a need to know basis and I didn’t need to know yet. If God told us his entire plan, we inevitably would mess it up, let’s face it, we’re human. Right? How many times have you heard that? “I’m only human” Think about this, why on earth would God risk messing up his perfect plan to have some human mess it up thinking, this would be better if I did it this way. No one can’t beat God, or out think God. After all he is God. What I have realized is that my plan is simply that, my plan. And even though I make think it is awesome, fool proof, whatever, God always knows better. To be a willing vessel one must first be molded into it from a lump of clay. Did you ever stop and think about why the analogy of the potter was so important to us as believers?
            The story of the potter is important because the pot represents life. We start from a lump of clay. Lumpy, wet, with no structure compound or thought of being anything, the potter takes his foot and kicks the wheel starting to spin the lump of clay, wets his hands and starts to form his pot. At some point in all of this the pot is molded into what looks like a pot, but it’s not finished yet. Here is the part you won’t like. In order to be called a pot, to be used as a pot, it must first be fired. Meaning it must withstand the kiln. This process takes a while, a hot fire that lasts for a set amount of time, finally the pot is pulled out and cooled then inspected. After this whole process you can use your pot. Let’s think about this, we are the pot and we can’t be used until we go through the fire. The use is worth much more than the fire so keep the walk steady.
            I am thankful that God sees fit to use me even though I am far from perfect. I am going to try to see God’s plan instead of my own because it is so much more rewarding. Thanks so much for reading my blog. I hope it uplifts you as it does me. Just because you think that you aren't enough, doesn't mean that's true. You can be useful anyway. God loves you anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment